Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day After Spring Birding

Well I wasn't able to get out the first day of spring to do any birding, but I was able to yesterday.  A Mountain Bluebird a couple days ago was year bird #62 and my 40th month bird.  Western Meadowlark and Cooper's Hawk over the weekend brought my month list up to 42.

Yesterday I was able to get out and meet my dad at Sombrero Marsh in Boulder for some birding.  With wonderful weather we saw Song Sparrow, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, a lone Green-winged Teal, Mallard, American Coot, a pair of Red-tailed Hawks, a pair of Bufflehead and Red-winged Blackbirds.  The Song Sparrow was my dad's 52 month bird.
A look out at Sombrero Marsh.

A pair of Northern Shovelers feeding along the marsh grass.


Song Sparrow.  This little guy was very active and acted very "wren-ish."

After spending some time birding Sombrero and discussing the multitude of different calls that Red-winged Blackbirds make, my dad and I parted ways and I headed off to Walden Ponds for a short little birding excursion there.

Looking out over Cottonwood Marsh.  Still no green in the trees, but by this time next month there will be very little brown.

American Coots and a Wigeon.

A female Northern Shoveler in flight.  They have beautiful wing patches.

An American Robin relaxing in the thick brush just off the trail.

Walden had numerous birds on it including a few Canvasback, Ring-billed Gulls, Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead and a couple Ring-necked Ducks.  The Tundra Swan that had been hanging out here was nowhere to be found.  

No comments:

Post a Comment