Friday, May 11, 2012

Birding on the 10th

Today I decided to take advantage of the fact I woke up early and didn't have to be at work till 2, I decided to go birding.

The birding started at the house, with Violet-green Swallows flitting about right off the deck.  I attempted a few shots but only managed only these decent ones.



After a few minutes attempting my luck with the Violet-green Swallows, I headed into Boulder.  My original plan was to spend a few hours walking the trails at Walden Ponds, but as I was headed there I decided to stop at the Bobolink Trailhead of the South Boulder Creek trail and see how the birding was there and if I couldn't find a Bobolink.


A Barn Swallow along the trail.

One of a multitude of House Wrens singing and establishing territories along the river.  A fun and feisty bird to watch.  

A view of the Rocky Mountains.

I watched this American Robin for a few minutes as it preened and watched what was going on.  I had my camera ready and as he got ready to take off I captured this shot.

After spending about an hour and a half walking along the South Boulder Creek, and not seeing any Bobolinks, I decided to make my way up to Walden Ponds to finish my morning of birding before I headed to work.

A Canadian Goose sitting on a nest.  There are a few nesting pairs at Walden that I could find.

Canadian Geese and a Double-crested Cormorant sitting on a small island out in the lake.

Though I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, I had a great time.  Best birds of the day were a Yellow-rumped Warbler(Audubon's race) at South Boulder Creek, my first warbler of the year and Great-tailed Grackle and Spotted Sandpiper at Walden Ponds.  The sandpiper was my 100th year bird!  I also bumped my month list up to 56 on the month so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment