Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hummingbirds Around the House

I would like to interrupt my Catching Up posts and do a post on the Broad-tailed Hummingbirds that hang around the house.  Let me start off by saying that I live up in the mountains of Colorado, Coal Creek Canyon to be exact, with my in-laws.  They own about a half acre of property with a few pine trees, open fields and lots of flowers.  We have one large hummingbird feeder that we hang, which draws the birds like a magnet.  There is one male who has establish his territory around our house, including our neighbors properties in his territory as well.  There are about two or three females that use the feeder as well, and sometimes the male will come zooming in to chase them out, but he usually doesn't mind letting them use the feeder.  If another male comes through though, he is hot on the others tail driving him from his territory.  The hummingbirds have become fairly used to our presence on the deck, which has made them not as skittish when I attempt photographic opportunities.  Here are just a few of the photos I have taken of these wonderful little birds. 











On another note, my dad and I are teaching a kids birdwatching class tonight at the Majestic View Nature Center! I am very excited and can't wait to pass along my passion for birds!

Happy birding y'all!
-Daniel-

No comments:

Post a Comment